Station 8: Parts of Speech Across Languages
I worked in a group with Jonathan May to finish this project. In the station, we worked together to complete this project as if we were students. Our station said that we are juniors in a Spanish class. The teacher, Mrs. Brown, wanted us to compare and contrast English and Spanish in articles we found online. For this station, we found two articles from BBC News that were translated in both English and Spanish. Then, we copied and pasted a few sentences from each article into an online tool called "Wordle." Wordle takes words in par
agraphs, sentences, and papers and creates an image of the words according to how many times they are used in the text. The more a word is used, the bigger the word appears in the image. Then, we took a screenshot of this image and put the image into a word document. Also, we put the copied text into the word document. We assigned different parts of speech to a color and identified each part of speech in the text by highlighting each word with that color. For example, we labeled nouns green, so "IPCC" was a green color. With this, we recorded how many times each word showed up and analyzed the Wordle pictures. Then we answered questions the teacher gave us.
For this project, we worked together for the most part, but I completed the citations and typed the answers to the questions. Also, I found the parts of speech and colored them in the English text.
Part 2-
These are the questions and answers to what the assignment asked:
What similarities and differences are there?
In both Spanish and English, nouns, verbs, and adverbs are generally the same amount with maybe a difference of one or two. Also, the nouns are abundant in both of them. However, the major difference is there are more prepositions in Spanish. This goes in relation to more adjectives present in English. In addition, there are more articles and no pronouns in Spanish.
In both Spanish and English, nouns, verbs, and adverbs are generally the same amount with maybe a difference of one or two. Also, the nouns are abundant in both of them. However, the major difference is there are more prepositions in Spanish. This goes in relation to more adjectives present in English. In addition, there are more articles and no pronouns in Spanish.
What conclusions can you draw about the languages based on these similarities/differences?
The main conclusion drawn is that Spanish uses prepositional phrases as adjectives. Also, English has more of a tendency to use pronouns, whereas the Spanish language does not require pronouns with verbs. However, the basic structure of subject and verb is the same, because there are similar amounts of nouns and verbs.
What conclusions can you draw about the languages based on the Wordle pictures?
The conclusion from looking at the Wordle picture is that there are more words in Spanish to convey the same thought and information as English does. Ippc is the biggest word in both pictures. While “panel” is big in English, there is no word “panel” in Spanish. Another conclusion is that there is an abundance of nouns for both languages.
What difference in emphasis can you infer from the Wordle pictures?
The difference in emphasis of the Wordle pictures is the nouns are the biggest words in for both English and Spanish compared to the other parts of speech.
Part 3-
As the student, I believe this activity was a fun way to compare the languages, and their use of parts of speech. As a Spanish class, this would seem like a good project, because students are able to see the similarities and differences of the language they are born with and the language they are studying. If I was the teacher, I would like this project, because the activity is fairly quick and easy, and the students are learning about their language and Spanish.
However, I did not like that the project was set up for group work, but the task was difficult to
work in pairs. The Wordle tool and taking screenshots are more of an individual task, so at first, we had trouble splitting the work. If I were to do the activity again, I would like to have worked alone, because I feel I would have learned more. As the teacher, the aspect of this activity I do not like is the students find their own articles. I would rather find articles myself and give the articles to the students, so that I know the articles are reliable and similar.
The most interesting part of this activity is that although both articles were the same, except one is in English and the other is in Spanish, their use of parts of speech differed somewhat greatly. I was interested in this difference, and I feel this is good for students to know when studying another language: they differ in using parts of speech. Also, Wordle is interesting to use and the outcome is surprising to see which words are used more than others.

No comments:
Post a Comment